titles do we need them?

John Key and his government have decided to reinstate the titles of Knight and Dame to Nz's merit orders..... I cant say I am very impressed... it seems like such an English concept and I do not see NZ as the mini Britain that we used to be in the 1950's. I feel that as a society we have advanced since the time that these sort of Titles were considered part of our society.

It was considered a move towards becoming a republic when they were scrapped, and that is a discussion that needs to be held in NZ as we mature as an independent country. The biggest issue though with becoming a republic is the status of the Treaty of Waitangi. It is a document signed between Maori and the Queen/sovereign of the commonwealth. How this would be dealt with in a Republics constitution is a huge issue and very complex.

ITs something I might have to do some more reading about before posting again on it, but I would love to know what other people think about titles, and republicanism....

2 comments:

Puerhan said...
March 9, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Interesting. I didn't know the titles had been scrapped.

Should stay scrapped and be scrapped here too I say! ;-)

I'm more or less in favour of NZ becoming a republic or something similar. Hadn't considered the treaty issues before though and can see how that could be a minefield!

Azlemed said...
March 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM

labour scrapped titles in 2000, I havent missed them at all....

Republicanism is interesting in response to the treaty, I am hoping to hear a talk about it in April at Drinking liberally.

Back to Home Back to Top SAHM Feminist. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.