Lincoln University to merge with Agresearch

this may be come quite a topic oh here for the next while as Ben is employed by Agresearch, I am wondering quite who came up with the idea to merge our biggest Crown Research Institute with a University, I am sure cost cutting has come into the equation and maybe the promise of more funding from the government.

Lincoln was until the late 1980s an Agriculture College, it is an awesome University, my sister, Mum and I all went there, but should a university be merged with a company that its doing research but also about making a profit? The philosophy behind this merger intrigues me and I am sure I will find out more once I talk to Ben and read more as it come available.

2 comments:

Puerhan said...
March 11, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Seems kind of inevitable that this kind of thing happens. After all what is a so called "Crown" institute doing making profit in the first place? Profit making does not equal impartial scientific research (not to say individuals within the organisation aren't doing impartial research of course, but rather on an institutional scale)

And universities are also profit driven now... which again does not equal... oh ok seem to be repeating myself here! ;-)

Anonymous said...
March 19, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Well, profit is a pretty low priority for Agresearch - we pretty much spend what we earn. Unfortunately most of our research funding is from industry now and they don't just give us money to do whatever we want... Whether that means we are not impartial I'm not sure. The whole system is not perfect.

Back to Home Back to Top SAHM Feminist. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.