mens right to comment on womens hairyness

let me spell this out to start with men don't have the right at all to comment on women's hairiness..... this is in response to the moustache gate that Paul Henry a tv presenter on TVNZ's breakfast show last week commenting that a female guest had a moustache, the whole thing was very embarrassing and in very bad taste.

It reminded me of an incident I remember from fourth form. It was in English and a group of boys were picking on one of the girls, there were only 2 of us that didn't shave our legs... they were quite cruel in their remarks to the other girl and that remained with me... I didn't shave my legs for another year and even now only do it in the summer, and its my choice, Ben wouldn't consider commenting on my hairiness or lack of hair, its my body my choice whether to shave my legs, my underarms and my upper lip if it was hairy, and it is but its blonde hair so cant be seen.

Women are under a lot of pressure to conform to these stupid ideals that women are hairless. I aren't hairless, and the idea of being totally hairless is rather strange, its OK on a 5 year old but to have no body hair as a women seems rather like I am trying to be prepubescent again.

Who's idea was it that women should get rid of all body hair? or that it should be waxed into ideal shapes, eyebrows for example... I hate plucking my eyebrows, up till recently it was painful to do them, waxing has helped but I cant do that by myself and it cost over $15 to get someone else to do them.... I did use bonjela for a while to make them sting less. but who makes these ideas that we must have two perfectly arched eyebrows?

And as for having to get bikini lines waxed etc... I don't get mine done... and I don't intend to start anytime soon... maybe if I was a swimmer I would but I aren't and my swimsuit has boyleg shorts so no one can see anyway.... its all rather mad how we are expected to waste copious amount of money so that we can be some image that is all airbrushed and unreal anyway.

Men do not have the right to tell me or any other women how we should look, its hard enough having a good body image without people like this using national airtime to make comment on another persons facial hair.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
March 30, 2009 at 10:46 PM

hear hear

Puerhan said...
March 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM

hair hair! oops, I mean hear hear! ;-) I would also add that no woman has a right to comment on another woman's hair / choices either.

Azlemed said...
March 31, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I get quite annoyed at the pressure from society to fit into some small narrow ideal of what a women should look like... and how we think its ok to say what we like about peoples apppearances, shows like next top model do not help either.

I dont think its ok to point out hairiness to anybody, and i often joke about mine because i just cant always be bothered with it all.

Back to Home Back to Top SAHM Feminist. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.